Wednesday 25 March 2009

Out of the kiln - Dichroic Glass Pendants

These are my latest pieces out of the kiln - a batch of pendants and some cute and colourful hangers. I get so excited when I load the kiln, even more so when I open the lid. I'm like a kid in a candy shop. On the otherhand, you can sometimes be disappointed with some of the pieces. During the firing process, many things can happen; glass can slip, burn, overheat to name but a few. If a piece of top glass slips from, say a pendant, the resulting item can look messy and uneven. Sometimes the dichroic glass metallic surface can burn off, leaving a grey chalky appearance and if the glass is over-heated, you will be left with spikey edges. So as well as pleasant surprises, there can be disappointments too. But, the surprises far outweigh the bad experiences! I still love my creations and spending time designing new items.


I'm glad to say that today looks like it will be bright and sunny. After posting that Spring is finally here, it turned absolutely horrid - high winds, sleet and snow and brrrr, it was damn cold.
Today I look out and see the sun and feel better already.
Kathryn, Lazy Daisy xx

1 comment:

Nicola said...

Those ones at the top are fabulous -they look like circuit boards! Awesome :)