Wednesday 25 February 2009

Tutorial - Glass Tile Pendant

This tutorial will show you how to make glass tile pendants (as above).

Materials required:
Glass tile (7/8" x 7/8")
Paper (scrapbook paper, scraps, photo)
Dimensional glaze (Diamond Glaze, Glossy Accents)
Bail
Square cutting template (made from card)
Pencil
Glue (to fix bail)
Scissors
Paintbrush
Step 1 - Choose your pattern paper. I have chosen Japanese pattern paper in the pendants above, but you can use your scraps of paper or even print a photo for a personalised pendant (great for mothers day, fathers day, birthdays etc).

Japanese Paper
Step 2 - Make your square cutting template by measuring a 7/8" square from card (I recycled a food cardboard box), cut out the square using a craft knife. This will be used as a 'viewfinder' over your patterned paper. Move the viewfinder over the paper and select an appropriate section that makes a pretty frame. Try to select near the edge so as not to waste paper :

Square Cutting Template (Viewfinder)

Step 3 - Draw a square on to the paper, cut the paper square out and snip small rounded corners (because the glass has rounded corners, your paper will need to match):

Step 4 - Apply a generous layer of glaze to the back of the glass tile (the flatest part of your tile). Make sure to coat all the surface and slightly over the rounded edges. Place your piece of paper over the glass tile (remember to place the paper face down on to the glass), move the paper into place with your fingers and turn the tile over. Push down firmly on the tile to rid of any air bubbles that may have occurred. Leave to dry. Your tile may slide over the paper slightly, if so, move it back into place. TIP - use a grip seal bag as a base, this will prevent a sticky mess on your work surface:
Step 5 - Once dry, apply another generous amount of glaze on top of the paper. Spread the glaze over the paper, paying particular attention to the corners and edges. TIP - lightly glide your brush over the paper to minimise brushstroke marks in the glaze. Let to dry and set. Once dry, the texture is very smooth and shiny, like glass.
Step 6 - Apply glue (suitable for metal) to the back of the pendant and apply your bail. Let to dry/set.
I used E6000 glue for attaching the bail - this is an industrial glue I use for my glasswork. There are a couple of options for bails. You can use a flat bail (right in the photo) or an Aanraku jewellery bail (left in the photo). If using the flat bail, you will need to attach a jump ring to hang from a chain, the Aanraku bail already has a loop for a chain.

Two different bails (above)
(two bails - front view)

You can create all sorts of pendants - here are some examples:

You can even add a touch of your own artwork or personalise by drawing on the prints. You can see from the pendants below that I have added the word Diva in bright pink. I used a Sakura glaze pen for this as these are very bright and do not run when the glaze is added:
I hope you enjoyed this tutorial.

Kathryn, Lazy Daisy xx

24 comments:

Caro said...

Hi, I like your tutorial, and I have done that, with diamond glaze, but I am finding that when I pull on the bail to test for strength, the paper comes away from the glass! I then used superglue to glue it down. I also used Japanese paper and was wondering if you have had this problem.

Anonymous said...

Have just joined UK handmade and found your tutorial . I love those little glass tiles. I've always wondered how they were made. Also like your Lazy Bones glass fish and the Tartan Weave Glass. I will have some handmade things on my blog soon in the mean time please come and have a look.
Adele

Yvonne Temple said...

I have just come to you via UK Handmade... what a brilliant idea and what great, clear instructions.Thanks so much for sharing it. I will definitely be back to take a look at your blog more often.
Yvonne x

Márcia Shintate said...

Those are amazing! I loved them! And your blog is cute!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this tutorial. I think glass pendants would be an excellent way to use up bits of leftover paper from my projects.

Beauty Boss Agnes said...

Been working with scrabble tiles and have never tried glass. Just purchased glass tiles (they came today in fact) and your tutorial was so precise and easy to understand. Cant wait to get started...thanks

kayleeg2005 said...

lovvvvvvvve the ones of the cupcakes, and crowns too cute!!!

Imaginative Intentions said...

Great Tutorial! I already make glass tile pendants but the viewfinder tip is great and I'll definitely be putting it to good use!

Unknown said...

Thank you for the tutorial. I am going to start making my own pendants. I didn't know it would be so easy!

Glass Tiles said...

glass tiles are able to add a unique artistic vision to any residential or commercial area.
http://www.glasstiles.co.uk/

The Beading Gem said...

Thanks for sharing this thorough tutorial. I will link on my blog soon.

Tabby said...

Love your tutorial, I think I'll start making my own glass pendants now. Thank you so much!

kim said...

Great tutorial. I have seen several and am excited to try my own hand at it.

Thank you for sharing how to.

Blessings,
Kim

One Creative Queen said...

Thank you so much for writing such a great tutorial! These are just darling and I always appreciate it when an artist shares their process. You did a magnificent job, as always! xx

Shu Wei said...

Dear Lazy Daisy Glass,

I just started my own blogshop selling handmade jewellery and was looking around for inspirations to add to my collections.

Your tutorial was a godsend and I am totally intrigued. I can't wait to get my hands on the supplies and begin making the nice pendants.

Thank you so much for your fantastic tutorial. Do keep posting great tutorials as I will be following you :)

Regards
Shu Wei

TreasuresFromHawaii said...

Aloha from Kauai, Hawaii and Mahalo/thank you for this easy-to-follow tutorial! I am a self-taught photographer and was anxious to add a new product line to my shop~photo pendants and magnets - They will be easier thx to you! God bless...Dava

Natalia Theodoridou said...

Hi! Thank you for this wonderful tutorial! I hope you don't mind that I included it in my glass tile pendant tutorial list!
Check it out here:
http://dottygrey.blogspot.com/2010/06/glass-tile-pendants-tutorial-list.html

HJC Editor said...

Your glass tile pendant is an awesome inspiration! Many thanks for sharing. I would like to feature your designs at http://www.handmade-jewelry-club.com/

Contact me here if you have a concern.

Jane
http://diylessons.org/

Katrinshine said...

Thank you for sharing! I sell Digital collage sheets www.karisagraphic.etsy.com but I never known how to make them.

Katrinshine said...

Thank you for sharing! I sell digital collage sheets for scrapbooking and jewelry making www.karisagraphic.etsy.com but I never know how to make them.
Katrin

Gina said...

Nice Tutorial!
I'd love to help anyone that might need help making these and many other types of glass tile pendants.
You can find me here: http://www.sunandmooncraftkits.com

Gina
Sun And Moon

Nueyer said...

Lovely pendant!! I have a soft spot for Japanese stuff.... I made mine (this and this) using Japanese fabric

Mahmudul Hasan said...

Nice tutorial.You give us a nice gift through your post.Thanks for sharing.Want more like this.
glass mosaic tiles

Unknown said...

Great tutorial.
If anyone needs images for making glass tile pendants I’d love to help. I offer free digital images created to fit your crafts projects. Also I offer the tool to make your own sheet with pictures (images) you chose My contact info is on my website: http://bestpeople.ca